Much like the W-shaped and U-shaped models, the Z-shaped attribution models are so named because of the shape they take when you take a graphical-level overview of how each channel receives the credit. Z-shaped attribution is a multi-touch model that gives credit to all touchpoints in the customer journey. It's also a position-based model, meaning it decides how much credit to give each touchpoint based on its particular position in the sales cycle/buyer's funnel. z-shaped allocation How does Z-shaped attribution work? The Z-shaped attribution is quite easy to understand. The four most important touchpoints in the consumer journey receive 22.5% of the credit, with the remaining 10% split equally among the other touchpoints. But which touchpoints receive 22.5%? First touch = 22.5% The first credit is awarded on the first touch. It's as simple as it sounds: the first time a prospect interacts with your brand (whether through organic search, coming to your booth at an event, or seeing an ad online), they receives 22.5% of the total credit for the sale.
After all, if a customer had never even heard of your brand, they would never have converted. Lead Generation Touch = 22.5% The second key interaction to employee email database receive 22.5% credit is the lead generation touchpoint. Surface lead generation can seem a bit complex to understand. After all, how do you know when a prospect is a lead (or vice versa)? Lead generation always involves an exchange - a prospect exchanges something of their own (usually their contact information) in exchange for something else (like a thought leadership eBook). Once this process has taken place and a prospect has agreed to be contacted by your company, they are then qualified as a lead. This is also a very important step: if you fail to get prospects to voluntarily agree to be contacted by your company and receive marketing materials, it will be very difficult to guide them through the funnel and convert them into paying customers. Lead-Attribution-Banner-CTA Opportunity Creation Hit = 22.5% The third touch point to receive 22.5% of the total credit is the opportunity creation key. But what exactly does opportunity creation mean? Imagine you are a training and development provider offering management courses.
You decide to send out a newsletter promotion offering a free course to everyone on your newsletter promotion list (in other words, all of your viable leads). One of your prospects sees this email and decides to enroll in the free course. This – or something similar like signing up for a demo – counts as a deal creation touch. Customer close = 22.5% Finally, the last touchpoint of a consumer's journey (i.e. the last time they interacted with your brand before becoming your customer) also counts for 22.5% of the total credit. After all, there's no point in guiding leads through the funnel if they never actually convert. The final point of contact, although it may seem like a formality, is still extremely important. A total of four critical touchpoints will receive the lion's share of the credit (90%), with the rest equally sharing the remaining 10%.